The first thing I did was get out the old pencil and paper to sketch out just a bunch of letters. I wasn't focused on thickness of letters because I figured I would figure out thickness and ends when I took it to Illustrator. These sketches was just to get a bunch of ideas on what the shape of the letter was going to be.
fleshing out forms
Next it was time to hop into Illustrator and start creating. Although the program I was planning on using has a vector editor, I'm most comfortable in Illustrator and wanted to leverage its power. During my iteration process, I frequently took the letters and hand placed them to make different words. This gave me a sense of what was working and what wasn't. When I felt happy with the forms, it was time to take it into BirdFont to make something I can put into Unity.
Learning BirdFont was a bit tricky since the documentation is a bit sparse. After a few days working with it, I think I've got a decent understanding of it. At least enough understanding to make this simple font.
using the final